Wednesday, January 4, 2012

what a run & Rotary update

Its Terry here, 0830 am,Wed (9:39pm Tues your time) just got back from a fantastic 1:20 16km run through the back roads of farms and mud huts. Men plowing fields with oxes and others herding cows with motorcycles. Women dressed to the nines walking along the dirt paths in high heels alongside barefoot 4 yr old girls in rags carrying water.

The roads were very dusty, red and hilly. Perfect temperature.

The kids are terrified of the running old mizunga if they are in a group of 4 or less. They swerve away in there blue school dresses with big eyes. If they are in a group of more than 4 they grin and yell "How are you? How are you". For the entire run I was saying, in swahili: "Mzuri", Mazuri Sana" (Im fine, Im very fine) or "jambo-jambo" (howdy) and of course "Habari" (hello). Sometimes I could even see where the salutations were coming from.

I took a wrong turn, at 1;20 I was pretty tired by the time I reached the outskirts of town. Then, from the crowd ( I had left the country roads by this time), I heard a voice beside me. It was Frederick on a boda boda! He's the guy Tanya has been sponsoring since 2009. I jumped on the back and he navigated me through the 2km of thick crowds and dropped me at our door.

ROTARY
The great news is the RC Kakamega is taking charge of protected spring project with gusto. At least four issues to deal with on protected springs 1) RC wants more contractors involved, but have been saying so for several months and have not obtained more quotes. 2) KASFOOC wants recompense to cover travel costs to monitor project 3)the two contractors we have quotes from have waited a year for the job, and trhey, like me are wanting to start ASAP and 4) Sanitation training will have to invlove some government which COULD be complicated

Now to shower and get ready for KASFOOC meeting at 10am

No comments:

Post a Comment