Saturday, January 7, 2012

found a run buddy

Terry here, 10am Saturday Jan 7th.

This morning's attempt to get lost in the back roads was a success. Unfortunately I decided not to take my camera, so i cant show you Godfrey my run "buddy".

Just got back from my morning constitutional (Im 11 hours ahead of you). Another beautiful sunny morning, I'd say 15-18 nice degrees. Nice breeze.

At about 30" into the run just when I was turning around, on a narrow red dirt track coming towards me was a runner. He was wearing dress pants, a short sleeve dress shirt and sandals, but he was running smooth. He looked about 25 (as does everyone, very youthful here). I turned to join him saying "Habari, wapi kimbia?"= "Hiya where run?" he did not look unfriendly, but he did not answer. we were running uphill, to keep up with him I had to go from my slow 5"/km downhill pace to his 4:35/km UPhill pace. It felt good to have a reason to push it. We ran quietly for a few km, he was going my exact route I wanted to go so I just went with it; winding trough little dirt roads between tiny farms, families out front cooking maize. After about 3-4km another runner of similar description fell in for a km. I said "Jina lako nani?" and his name is Godfrey. after 5km together we were in the heart of the town. It's market day, it is packed, I mean packed. I left him there with a "Kwaheri!" because we were brought to a walk and I headed back out of town. Great run 1:07 12km.

Last night's meeting with Rotary procurement committee went ok. Looks like things can start moving next week ie first spring dug. A little too complicated for my taste, but we have to give local Rotarians the control. Now (10am Saturday morning) I'm off to meet with KASFOOC to discuss the plans. Tricky balance between CBO KASFOOC, Rotary, community receiving spring, me and contractors. Alot of egoes involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment