Friday, January 6, 2012

Visit with Fredrick

I was so happy on Wednesday to see Fredrick!  When he saw Terry in town, he gave him a boda boda lift home and said he would come at 2pm.  He arrived with Josephine and little Brenda (now 4) and Emmanuel (just 13 months and already walking).  I wasn't expecting the whole family, but was so happy to see them.


Before we sat down, Fredrick insisted on praising God for bringing us together again.  He prayed in Swahili in earnest for quite a good long time.  I understood, Terry and Tanya and Amen.

The kids are gorgeous and just like any other 4 and 1 year old.  They played and laughed and fell down and cried and got into things they shouldn't.  When they fell they would only cry for a minute until Josephine would scoop them up by the arm and send them on their way.  Not a lot of muss or fuss, but there is definitely a lot of joy in this family.  The kids both loved looking in the mirror and turning on the light in the hallway was a real hit.

I gave each of the kids an outfit from Canada and Josephine promptly changed them into their new clothes (she changed them back into the clothes they were wearing before they left).  Josephine was tickled when I took pictures of the kids.

Brenda and Emmanuel
I am just waiting now for Fredrick to arrive with his mother.  They are asking for assistance in buying land.  Oh boy.  This will be my dilemma to sort out for this trip.  I am accepting (and pleading for) any and all feedback, comments, ideas, or suggestions on this one.

Sanford and June have bought an acreage which they have subdivided for their family members.  They have also provided seed and fertilizer and have said the rest is up to you.  With land, at least, there are opportunities to be self sufficient. 

Terry read an article in Runners World about an olympian from Unganda who supported family members on the condition that they take in orphans.  His parents now have taken in 11 orphans and he sends $100 a month for food.  I think Terry got a little excited and proposed, as an idea, not a promise, that maybe Fredrick could take in some orphans.  Ei yei ei...  That sounds terribly complicated.

We will not be jumping in to any decisions.  I intend on asking lots of questions of lots of locals on how best to support young families toward becoming self sufficient.  I have no doubt that Fredrick is trustworthy and hardworking.  I don't like that his mother is asking for something this big.  That annoys me a little.  In the three years I have known Fredrick, he has never asked for anything.  I have provided a lot -- rent, money for seed and fertilizer, very small amounts of money on a couple of occassions for medical bills...

They have just arrived... more later.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tanya,
    If you're going to buy land, what about doing it on some kind of collective basis, so that it could benefit more than one family? I'm sure there would be lots of administration and logistics issues to sort out with that, but maybe you could get some other NGOs involved(?).
    Just thinking out loud...
    ttfn,
    jon

    ReplyDelete