Sunday, January 8, 2012

Fredrick's visit with his mother

Fredrick and his mother arrived on Friday.  She looked beautiful in her bright orange and yellow dress.  It didn't seem right to request a picture.  I had prepared a few snacks, maybe too Canadian... orange and pineapple slices, crackers and cheese, vanilla biscuits.  Next time I will go with white bread and Blue Band (margarine) with milky, sugary chai.

Fredrick's mom had just come from selling her crop of sugar cane.  She was hoping to get around 100,000 Ksh (the rate can be anywhere from 80-95 Kenyan Shillings to the Canadian dollar), but it came in at 85,000.  Fredrick had asked when he was here earlier in the week if we could assist him in buying land with his mother. 

In Kenya, land is passed down from father to son.  Fredrick's mother left his father; I don't know the details, but I can only assume it must have been very bad because a divorced woman is choosing a very difficult life.  For a time Fredrick and his mother lived on his uncle's land (this was the situation when I met Fredrick in 2009).  When Fredrick's grandmother died, the uncle forced them off the land.  Since that time (about a year and half ago), I have been paying rent for Fredrick and Josephine (about 2,500 Ksh/month).  His mother was living with one of her sisters, until recently something very bad happened.  I get the stories in pieces from Fredrick in fairly clear, but incomplete English.  Fredrick's mother (I don't know her name) was stabbed in the eye by either her sister or her sister's husband.  The family suspected her of withholding money from them.  The police came and the uncle said that she and others attacked him.  So, Fredrick's mother along with 2 others (I'm not sure who the others are) were taken to jail.  Fredrick (the youngest son, so I don't know why it is up to him... probably because I support him) had to pay 9,000 Ksh (no small amount) to post bond for his mother and the other two.  The police eventually said that this is a family matter so should be dealt with in the family.  He never got his 9,000 Ksh back.  Grrr.  His mother is now living with another sister who is kind.  So I think she is safe.

Fredrick and Josephine live with the two children in a house that is o.k., but they have no land to grow their own food.  They spend about 6,000 Ksh a month on food.  Fredrick, between carpentry and boda boda, makes between 3-4,000 Ksh a month.  Josephine's little business of selling clothing only is making enough to keep the business going and a little to put towards food.  So rent and food cost 8,500 Ksh.  Soon Brenda will go to "baby school" (nursery school) which will require a fee and a uniform.  There is no money for medical expenses.  I asked Fredrick to take Brenda to the doctor because I saw that she has sores on her head.  The visit to the doctor was 300 Ksh and she requires medicine now to treat septic worms (from water I think).  I gave Fredrick 300 Ksh for the medicine which I am sure is more than enough.  Anyway, it is pretty clear to see that the numbers just don't add up.

My hope with the carpentry training was that Fredrick would have a way to earn an income and support his family.  In the long run, that is certainly the plan.  Right now, though, the Kenyan economy is in the tank.  Food prices have doubled even tripled for some items.  Fredrick gets work from some carpenters who either pay him far less than they promise, or don't pay at all.

While they were here, I think his mother had her heart set on walking out with the rest of the money needed to buy the land they looked at.  They found a fertile acre and a half in the rural area for 450,000 Ksh.  An acre close to town costs about 3,000,000 Ksh, so they have found a very good deal.  Terry was pretty solid with a flat no.  I told Fredrick that the answer right now is no, but to protect his mother's money.  I told him to concentrate for now on how he can make more money through carpentry.  I will buy some tools for him, as I promised I would last time I was here, but he has to have a plan for what he is going to make and be sure there is a market for it, so that we put our money and energy in the right direct.  I also told him that he can continue to do research into land... how much money will it take to hold the land until he knows what he will get for his sugar cane.  Terry and I will brainstorm ideas as well -- maybe we can be on title and carry a mortgage for them... I don't know.

I told him that I will not abandon him, but I am not just going to just buy him land either.  It has to benefit both of us.  I also have to see how he will be able to support his family even when he has land.  Where will he get money for seed and fertilizer, how will he survive until the crops are ready...

There are so many questions yet to be answered.  I told him we will go slowly and will not come to any decisions until March so that we get the best advice.  He should carry on as if our answer is no.  I asked him if he understood.  He said, "Me, I am satisfied.  My mother... I don't think so." 

I'd be kinda cool to own a shamba in Kenya, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment