Monday, January 16, 2012

Augustine

Fredrick told me about a little boy, his neighbour, that needed to go to hospital for sores on his ear.  The mother is a widow and her parents are also dead, so she has no family support.  Most of the time, Fredrick says, the mother is not around and the children just play around outside or come to his house to play with Brenda.  There are three children, ages 5, 6, and 7 or 8.  The girl, the oldest, goes to school sometimes and is in Standard 1 or 2.  Fredrick noticed that the girl had not been to school for a few days and asked her why.  She said she could not pay her exam fee (why there would be an exam fee for Standard 1 or 2 confuses me, but many things confuse me here).  Anyway, the fee was only 50 bob, so Fredrick gave the girl the money and she went to school.  When the older one is in school, the two little ones are left on their own, the older girl takes care of her two little brothers when she gets home from school.

The problem with the mother, says Fredrick, is that she does not work, so she has become a prostitute to get money.  The other problem, says Fredrick, is that when she does have money, she usually goes to buy changaa (local brew).

I agreed to take the child to the hospital.  Fredrick picked me up on his boda boda with the little boy on the back and the three of us went by boda boda to the hospital.  I was quite shocked when I saw his ear.  He also has sores on his chest, back, and head.  When we got to the hospital, Fredrick called the mother to ask the boys name; Augustine, 5 years old.

Sorry for posting this, but it helps to tell the story of these children.

I should say that I was very impressed with the hospital.  It had large signs saying this is a corruption free zone and had listed all the fees for each service that is offered and the wait time.  It is free to see a doctor and receive outpatient care and counselling.  Treatment for children under five is free, you only pay for the medicine.  It is a very different story if you have to be admitted (expensive), but our experience today was very good.

The clinical officer (there is a shortage of doctors here, so clinical officers see many patients; they are like physician assistants) said the infection is very bad and was quite angry at the negligence of the mother.

Augustine waiting at the hospital
They spoke to each other in Swahili, so I didn't understand most of it, but I did hear Ministry of Children.  We were given a prescription for three types of medication -- to treat septic worms and the bacterial infection on the skin and in the ears.  I asked what caused it and the C.O. said water, but mostly from food that is not washed or cooked well enough; soil carries many parasites.  Fredrick told me that the children will just eat whatever they can find at times -- if they find sugar cane at the side of the road, they will just pick it up.

On the ride home I asked Fredrick why he doesn't want to report to the Ministry of Children.  He said he is afraid they will put the mother in jail.  I am going to ask around to see how to help.  For now, I paid for the medicine (1,500 Ksh; almost triple what medicine for Brenda cost) and gave Augustine some lunch.  Fredrick will ask Josephine to make sure to give Augustine his medicine everyday, I don't trust the mother to do it.  I also asked Fredrick not to tell the mother how much the medication cost.  I don't want her to see Fredrick as wealthy.  For now, Fredrick will feed the children as if they were his own.

After Augustine had something to eat at our house, he perked up quite a bit.  Terry thinks he liked the slippery surface of our floor because he was sliding along on his belly.  He was also pointing at all of the cords for our gadgets (camera, computer, tv, etc.), and all of our shoes.  He was speaking softly to himself, counting maybe.

Fredrick's parting words to me, "These childrens who are orphans are really suffering." 

1 comment:

  1. Children taking care of children is one of the harshest realities to come to grips with. Bless little Augustine and I hope his medication helps him. I wish you could scoop all the orphans up and bring them home, but I know that's not the answer.

    ReplyDelete