Monday, January 23, 2012

Fish farm update


 Esters' ponds above are the best I have seen so far- actually have economic potential. Most are too small and we must expand.

Yesterday was touring the last of the KASFOOC fish ponds and a few protected springs.  Today is prepping for tomorrow: a field trip, technical training day for our fish farmers led by local Min of Fisheries extension officers.  I will give a "rousing" talk as well.  We have 2 mini-vans rented and will visit 3 fish farms- one is a tank farm.  That will be new to me- not sure what to expect.

I have a RAS (recirc aquaculture system) expert from USA to talk to, he wants to introduce hydroponics into tilapia farming here.  That will be fun to hash over as I have licensed a couple of those in BC, but I think a bit of a reach for here.  He has contacts with some big money (?), USAID?, we'll see.

I have been doing the math and these women should be able to make Ksh150,000 ($1700 CDN) profit every 8 months from a 300m2 pond- that's huge money.  Depends on good feed, good fingerlings and good husbandry (do NOT feed fish feed to the chickens!  Do not give all your fish away to the neighbours etc).

Here is a video of what we do not want to do.  Only 86 fish were harvested, 42 of any size were sold for a paltry 150Ksh (2$ CDN)

No comments:

Post a Comment