Friday, February 10, 2012

Baby Class

Brenda has started baby class (3-5yrs).  Baby class starts with Stream 1, on the left side of the class, and in year two, they graduated to Stream 2, the right side of the class.  I think you'll see the difference in the actions of the song.  This is almost more cuteness than I can handle!


 
Children are in school from 7:30am to 3:30pm.  There are about 90 kids all day and another 50 come for a feeding program at lunch.  School fees (only about 3,000 =/ for a 3 month term) pay for the food, and donations from the church pay the teachers salary.

Circle song -- Brenda is the one on the right in the blue shoes.

Brenda is really good at hopping!
 It is a nice school full of happy children (can't fake kids having fun!). I asked Fredrick if Brenda was scared to go to school.  He told me that when he took her the first day, the teacher asked how she is doing.  In Swahili, she answered, "I've come here to learn."

Fredrick came by this afternoon.  He discovered at 10:30 this morning when he went home for tea that Josephine is not feeling well.  She later called him in the early afternoon to say that "the pains in her womb" were getting worse.  I told him he had better take her to the hospital, but I knew it was getting close to the time when Brenda would be coming home from school.

"How does Brenda get home from school?" I asked.  "She usually just walks home with the other children who live near."

"If you are taking Josephine to the hospital, who will care for Brenda?"

Fredrick answers, "Remember I told you there is a young girl next door, sister to Augustine, that cooks for the other childrens.  I can talk to her and just tell her to let Brenda in to the house."  "Or, I can just come back and open the door for Brenda."  The girl we are talking about is in Standard One (6 years old).

"Brenda stays alone in the house?" I ask trying not to sound too alarmed (Brends is four).

"Oh, she just likes to play around, so it is just o.k."

No comments:

Post a Comment